Thursday, May 15, 2008

The worms have arrived!




The red wrigglers we ordered for the garden beds came in the mail yesterday. Yeah! I know it seems crazy to have to buy worms. They usually just come with the property, but we didn't get any here so we had to resort to spending hard earned money on worms. Good grief. This should really improve the soil in the new bed and help rejuvenate the old bed. I was expecting these worms to look like the kind that would crawl out of the lawn in CA when the lawn wasn't watered well enough. Night crawlers I think they're called. Or fishing bait. Anyway, the worms that we received looked like something I've dissected in Biology 10. Pretty yucky! We had to dig a hole, water it well, deliver the worms into the hole, and then cover with damp newspaper. Everything went well and when I checked them this morning, they were gone! Hopefully not into a robin's tummy, but deep into the soil where they will work their magic.



No comments: